It is with great excitement that we announce Blue River PetCare’s new partnership with Penn Foster College! This new partnership opens up an exciting educational opportunity for dedicated team members to earn an Associate Degree in Science – Veterinary Technician and prepare for the VTNE. Designed for working veterinary technicians, this self-paced program offers an option to independently register and self-pay at a discounted tuition rate or apply to receive a scholarship through the Blue River PetCare Veterinary Technician Scholarship Program.
Penn Foster College
Partnership with Penn Foster College – Program Description:
Penn Foster College is a remote learning, a self-paced program intended to serve students while they continue to work in clinics. Students who complete the course will earn an Associate Degree in Veterinary Technician and be eligible to sit for the VTNE exam. If selected for the scholarship, students will receive full tuition support for the semester from Blue River PetCare, in addition, to support/advocacy from the Blue River Clinical Development team.
Penn Foster tuition includes all books, learning aids, instructional student support, registration, community access, and essentially everything needed to complete the program successfully. If students continue to meet eligibility requirements, Blue River guarantees that scholarships will be granted for the subsequent semester.
Upon completion of the program, students are expected to sit for the VTNE and obtain state credentialing (LVT, CVT, RVT, LVMT) as a Veterinary Technician where available. Blue River will also reimburse students for the cost of the VTNE exam, upon passing.
Payment Structure – Student Self-Pay Program and Scholarship Program:
The program is fully financed by the student at a discounted rate, full cost of the program is $5580.00. The student is able to pay in two ways: (1) Pay per semester at $1395.00 or (2) Monthly program payment: down payment of $245.00 and monthly payments at $115.00 per month for 10 months.
Veterinary Technician Scholarship Program:
This is a scholarship program with eligibility and criteria outlined below. This program is 100% paid ($5580.00) by Blue River PetCare, there will be no financial responsibility paid by the practice or student
Veterinary Technician Scholarship Program
As part of our partnership with Penn Foster College, Blue River PetCare is proud to offer scholarship opportunities for eligible team members through the BRP Veterinary Technician Scholarship Program. Scholarship recipients will receive free tuition, books, learning aids, community access, and support from the BRP Clinical Development team. Additionally, scholarship recipients who continue to meet eligibility requirements will automatically be qualified for a scholarship for the subsequent semester.
Eligibility and Criteria for the Scholarship Program:
- Completion of 2 years or more at a Blue River PetCare practice
- In Good Standing: Must not have received disciplinary action within the past 12 months.
- Be a full-time employee and maintain full-time employment throughout the scholarship period with the exception of the second externship.
- Have received a High School Diploma or GED and are at least 18 years of age
- Able to commit at least 20 hours each week for studying and/or classwork
- Have access to a laptop/ tablet with a camera and Wi-Fi. Cell Phone alone will not work for most applications of the Program
- Have a mentor within the practice for the program, either a Credentialed Veterinary Technician, who is a graduate of an AVMA accredited program OR Veterinarian, and they agree to support and participate.
- Applicants must be nominated by a Practice Manager
- Applications will not be complete without a Letter of Recommendation from the practice’s Medical Director
- Write and submit a personal essay, up to 500 words, describing your commitment to the Program and to the veterinary medicine profession
- Students must continue to maintain the criteria outlined earlier for the initial eligibility.
- Students must complete the semester within 18 months of enrollment and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 (minimum “C” average) to successfully complete the Program.
- Failure to achieve this minimum standard will forfeit the student’s eligibility for scholarship support for subsequent semesters.
- The student must attempt and pass the VTNE and obtain VT credentialing in the state that they are employed (per state requirements) within one year of graduation from Penn Foster. The cost of VTNE test will be reimbursed once passed.
- Students must attest that upon completion of this program and successfully passing of the VTNE, they will be eligible for credentialling in practice’s state and that no information discovered on criminal background check, inquiry with other state veterinary boards, or any other requirements of the state will prohibit their ability to receive a state credential.